Re: [Phys-l] Tutoring Please

Jack suggests the following:

What happened to make this description of matter insufficient?
That is the underlying question, what set of facts is your theory
attempting to explain? You seem to decry the long wait between Empedocles
insightful construct and the adoption of the "truth" after 1660. But
there was no need for a more accurate description of matter until
quantitative chemistry came along. What was lacking before (somewhere
around) the 17th century was access to the technology that gave rise to
precision measuring instruments.

I don't know, Jack. It seems to me that most of the advances in science come by chance. There was no real need to go to the Moon -- certainly the search for quarks has no technological value. In fact what do you do all day long. Rather it would appear that the chief mission of science if to get the story straight and for two millennia people just sat on two theories and stared at each other. Astronomy had the same problem.

Was Aristotle such a powerful figure? -- An unquestioned prophet? Was the Church so overbearing that no one dared think for two millennia

And, Folks, what about the other questions???

> Q1: When did the idea of "earth, air, fire and water" finally go
> away? Who last refers to this philosophy in serious scientific discourse?

Note that this concept is being used seriously in some circles TODAY. Do a Google search!

> Q2: Why did it take so long, >2000 yrs, to shake the four-element philosophy?

Aristotle??? The Church???

> Q3: What other concepts in physics persist to this day even tough we
> know they are wrongish?

Note that the concept of "fire" as a substance is still with us. Others?

JMGreen