Re: [Phys-l] fire starter from the sun

I don't understand the comment about f/stop clouding the issue. It seems f/stop (i.e. f/ratio) is exactly what people need to understand (for this case and many other cases).

I think there is a misconception that a positive lens will focus the sun into a small spot regardless of the focal length. I think this is because most people who play with lenses always use short focal length lenses (small f/ratio). I usually poll my class to see who has used a magnifying glass to start a fire, burn their intials into wood, or incinerate ants on the sidewalk. Many, if not most, have done one or more of these. Then, when we discuss the old 12-inch telescope mirror we have (which isn't in a telescope any more), some guys want to use it to focus the sun and see how hot they can get something. If I let them try, they are surprised it doesn't work. Why not? The f/ratio is too big, i.e. the aperture, although big, is not big compared to the focal length. The sun does not focus to a spot, but focuses to a fairly large circle more than an inch in diameter. "Why won't it focus sharper?" they ask. I point out that it is sharp. If there are clouds, you can see the sky nicely focused at the image plane. It is sharply focused, but not small. There's a difference between sharply focused and small; the words are nowhere near synonomous.

Student's just don't have this knowledge because they haven't played with long lenses.

Another way to help students see this is to discuss telephoto lenses for cameras. The longer the focal length, the larger the image on the film (or CCD). Many students are aware of this because it is obvious that's what's happening. If the lens diameter is the same, but the image is larger, i.e. spread out over more area, the brightness will be less. Thus, to get the same exposure, the telephoto lens needs a larger diameter. Unless you spend big bucks, the typical telephoto lens does not have a much larger diameter, hence telephoto lenses tend to have larger f/ratios. We have to slow-down the shutter and hold the camera more steady.

If you want to start a fire, you need a small f/ratio. Typical magnifying glasses that will start a fire have f/ratio between one and two.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817