Re: [Phys-l] Tutoring Please

Hi Jim-
Your question seems to be, broadly speaking, what is the nature of knowledge?
Thales, Anaximenes, and Anaximander (all at Miletus) tried to postulate a minimum of universal substances from which all matter was composed. The first two respectively named water and air as the primordial substance, Anaximander said that the primordial substance was unnameable (all this as reported by Aristotle). Fire was added by Heracleitus. Empedocles added earth, but he was already asking a broader question: what is the universal force that combines these elements into the matter that we experience daily? Empedocles named his universal forces "love" and "conflict" and described their function in a poem.
(See Sambursky, <The Physical World of the Greeks> (Princeton U. Press 1056)).
What happened to make this description of matter insufficient? That is the underlying question, what set of facts is your theory attempting to explain? You seem to decry the long wait between Empedocles
insightful construct and the adoption of the "truth" after 1660. But there was no need for a more accurate description of matter until quantitative chemistry came along. What was lacking before (somewhere around) the 17th century was access to the technology that gave rise to precision measuring instruments. These were the outgrowth of a complicated mix of commercial needs (standardized weights and measures) and manufacturing technology (why didn't the Alexandrians, after Hero,
start manufacturing steam locomotives?). Then, as we teach in courses on atomic physics, the discovery of the periodic table and the law of definite proportions made the formulation of an atomic theory of matter inevitable.
So the answer to your question about "Why did it take so long?"
seems to be that there was no need for anything better. The atomic theory of Leucippus and his pupil Democritus was, "just a theory" and was strongly disapproved by Aristotle. 'Nuff said?
Regards,
Jack