Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class.

the goal of top notch teaching, IMO, is to persuade
students to learn for themselves.
Regards,
Jack

I find this statement to be provocative (in a good way, ie. stimulating thought). The claim is our job is to PERSUADE.

I agree that effective learning is self-driven not teacher driven. You can bring 'em to the trough but you can't make 'em drink, and all that.

But I'm not sure I know how to persuade people of anything. I've always been a lousy salesman type, scoring miserably on personality tests that purport to quantify that kind of attribute.

I know how to model some aspects of learning. (The aspects that match my learning style, mostly.) I know how to mull over interesting ideas and applications. I know how to sift through chaff to find some nuggets. I know some classroom techniques (project loudly, write slowly and clearly, vary what I do, be enthusiastic).

But I'm quite sure I don't directly know how to persuade others to learn. If this really is the highest goal, I think I get a D at best. What do others think is the single highest goal of teaching and how can one achieve it? Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002