Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Carl Mungan wrote (in part):

the goal of top notch teaching, IMO, is to persuade
students to learn for themselves.
Regards,
Jack

I find this statement to be provocative (in a good way, ie.
stimulating thought). The claim is our job is to PERSUADE.

I agree that effective learning is self-driven not teacher driven.
You can bring 'em to the trough but you can't make 'em drink, and all
that.
That's why teaching is an art, not a science.

But I'm not sure I know how to persuade people of anything. I've
always been a lousy salesman type, scoring miserably on personality
tests that purport to quantify that kind of attribute.

Join the club, Carl. I've had a horror of selling ever since a
miseerable experience as a kid with Saturday Evening Post, etc. On the
other hand, I've been a community theatre actor for more than 30 years. I
think I can feel when the audience is listening sympathetically and
empathizing with me. And I can check the accuracy of my feeling by making
a deliberately provocative statement; if I don't get a vocal reaction, the
audience is not with me. It's OK when that happens because I have no
expectation of batting 1000 in (almost) any sport.
Regards,
Jack