Re: [Phys-l] Magnetic force and work

Bob Sciamanda wrote:
1) I think there is an error in your choice of directions, John. With the magnetic field directed into the page, a positive charge moving in the direction of the RED F vector will experience a qVxB force to the LEFT, antiparallel to the BLUE F vector.

I agree; fixed now.

2) You say: "The wire exerts a force on the particles, and by the same token the particles exert a force on the wire.".
The current carrying particles are part of the wire. Your statement describes a net (internal) force of ZERO on the wire system. The wire must be moved by an external force.

Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other.

I chose to take the viewpoint that the particles were _free_ particles
moving _freely_ inside the wire, except when they smack into the force
of constraint.

I added a parenthetical remark clarifying this point.