Re: [Phys-l] current vector

Hi all-
The language is breeding its own confusion. Current is not a scalar, nor a vector, nor a tensor. Current is a current, defined by the method of making a physical measurement. Scalars, vectors, tensors and the
like are mathematical quantities. Physical quantitities and mathematical quantities live in different universes. A priori, they have nothing to do with each other.
->BUT sometimes mathematical quantities may be used to represent physical quantities, under carefully circumscribed conditions. When such conditions prevail, then the logic of mathematics permits us to make
predictions about the outcomes of physical measurements.
The "current" discussion is about flow of charge, a conserved quantity. When a conserved quantity flows, the flow is describable by a divergenceless vector field (a vector is associated with each point of space, the vectors connect continuously except at points where there are sources - leads to Gauss' law).
It may be that integrating the vector field over a region gives rise to constructs, "currents" that are also describable as vectors. These are as meaningful as any other description.
So "qv" is not a vector, it represents a charge times a velocity.
I may usually be represented by a vector, which is quite a different proposition.
Take advantage of your freedom! You may represent physical quantities by vectors whenever the representation is accurate. But do not confuse the physics and the mathematics. They are not the same.
Regards,
Jack