Re: [Phys-l] current vector

John D. wrote in part:

| FWIW I consider terms like "flux of current" to be redundant
| in a mostly-harmless way. Flux means "flow" and current means "flow".
| Therefore the flux of current is just the current. The flux
| density of current is just the current density.
|
| momentum is a vector ...... momentum density is a vector
| current is a vector ...... current density is a vector

I'll hope that was not directed at my post (other than perhaps as an
item that was sparked by my comment) where I said that current is a flux
of *current density*. I agree "flux of current" is redundant.

There is an exact mathematical analogy for flux caculations of vector
fields through surfaces

Flux of "Electric-field": int_over_surface E-DOT-dA
Flux of "current-density": int_over_surface J-DOT-dA

FWIW, I personally don't like such circumlocutions as "flux density of
current", preferring the simpler "current density".

Joel R.