Re: [Phys-l] prime time

Yes, at least before TVs became disposable items, and either used cable.

The local oscillator's emission is detectable. This is how the BBC detects cheats. They have a van w/ ant. mounted on roof and high tech. recvr. inside. The fine is severe. My colleagues at Keele laughed when I bought the license immediately after one gave me their old B & W. The BBC ignores us out here.

bc

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with physics, but I have wondered
for many years about one thing. How do they know how many people watch
certain TV shows? I heard that 137 million people worldwide watched the
recent Super Bowl. Where do these figures come from, and how is it figured
out? When your TV set is on, can someone tell what you're actually
watching by the frequency or something? Or are these just "estimates," and
if so what are they based on? Any physics here?