[Phys-L] Re: Partners in Innovation: Teaching Assistants in College Courses

Questions and comments:

So there is no rational for students to be provided in their physics courses
as to why they should wear a seat belt?

Is that okay with everyone?

There is no reason/need to learn that energy exists and must be accounted
for.. and many more important concepts that we are able to get to
students....some without calculus and tons of equations.

Is that the acceptable?

No, physics should not be waiting until college. Physics is a part of every
person's life. You can't blink your eyes without an application of physics.
You can't push open a door, without physics. Why must it wait for college
when the vast majority of people won't be going there?

After your name, the first thing you had was probably something hanging over
your crib. It moved, it was colorful and maybe even made noise.....all of
this is physics. Yes, the coach can do a good job with physics if HE or SHE
is provided with the right materials, course of study and attitude from
above.

It is my approach that physics is in everything, so everything can be used
to teach physics' concepts and principles. And this is most definitely NOT
memorization! Please get busy and produce materials and experiments that
are MEANINGFUL. Physics is understandable at many levels and is not just
for the 'college students'

If physics is the foundational science, as I hold it is, then physics can
not wait to be experienced at ages 19+, besides it is so fascinating that
many will not let this happen to themselves.

Sheron Snyder

retired HS teacher
and still
Planetarium Operator