[Phys-L] Re: "moving clock runs slower" (not)

On Sep 10, 2005, at 9:13 AM, John Denker wrote:

First of all, in spacetime, a car at rest *does* move. It moves
toward the future at the rate of 60 minutes per hour.

That generated a lot of laughing. I often admire your sense of humor,
JohnD. And your ways of addressing various issues.

IMHO the spacetime approach is *less* mathematical, *less*
abstract, *more* intuitive, *more* readily visualized, and *more*
suitable for an introductory-level course.

That was the way in which I was introduced to SR, about 50 years ago.
It was a double-cone in the x,y,t space (the-negative-t cone
represented past events, in 2D, and the-positive-t cone represented
future events). But things became much more complicated when the
x,y,z,t space was introduced and handled algebraically.
Ludwik