[Phys-L] Re: homework lookup

When I assign homework, I require the students to start each problem on a new page, to restate the question, show their work, clearly communicate their ideas (English as well as mathematically), and ask questions if they get stuck. Although doing the extra writing doesn't add much to the time spent on homework, it does improve their thinking skills because they are forced to verbalize their ideas. It also makes their presentation of the solutions far superior to that in the solutions manual. In fact, some of my students have declared the student solution manual (that accompanies the text) to be "useless."

OTOH, they will copy the text verbatim to answer conceptual questions. NOT good. Some of 'em are just now learning that I won't count a short-paragraph answer correct if it's just a jumbled mess of random textbook sentences with the correct answer buried in there somewhere.

Vickie Frohne