the book, or solving homework problems. They have to WANT to learn for
more than just a grade.

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Friday, April
15, 2005 at 5:36 PM -0500 wrote:
I tried this once, too. I still had a couple of students hand in
homework but I found students in general didn't learn as much and
their grades suffered. Am I responsible for motivating them
to do the homework?

Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301

-----Original Message-----
From: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski

I teach physics at a private high school and do not grade
homework anymore. Too many were copying from each other,
turning it in, and getting a good grade. Now it's all
optional. I have my own problem sets, with similar homework
sets (with answers given). The next day I ask for questions,
then we move on. Saves me lots of time. Homework is practice
work. Students should do it because they want to, not because
they have to. Those "bright" students who can get it on their
own can choose not to do the homework. I'll know who
understands it when I grade the tests.