[Phys-L] Re: homework lookup

Mariam,

You may have finally explained why I always get this comment about exam
questions not matching the content of the course. I work hard to create
questions that test specific conceptual understanding. These problems are
generally not all that difficult for anyone that was paying attention, but they trip
up people that are simply going through the motions.

On the topic of finding solutions online...
I am teaching solid state this semester; and a senior student recently
complained to me about a text problem. He said he spent several hours looking
online for the solution. I then directed in to the section in the text where the
topic was explained. In the text, it described the approach one would take to
solve the homework problem to the extent that one could solve the problem in
approximately two minutes with just a little mathematical manipulation. Again,
nothing all that difficult.

Students at all levels look for ways to avoid studying and learning course content.