[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

I think that it's very good for people to know where seasons come fro=
m. And when I teach astronomy, I spend a lot of time on seasons and d=
iscuss seasons for planets of different axial tilts. =20
=20
There are also a lot of other good things that I would like to teach.=
It would be very worthwhile to include X-rays, radioactivity, and =
concepts related to medical imaging technology, especially in course=
s for pre-meds. People use transistors every day without knowing it,=
but how many know what a transistor is? And why is laser light diff=
erent from light from LED's? And what's the difference between an LED=
and a light bulb? But how can I introduce these things, when I don'=
t have enough time in a year to teach all the "standard" topics and t=
heir applications properly? If I wanted to make a course that's more=
interesting and useful (beyond MCAT preparation), which, if any, of t=
he traditional topics could be considered expendable? =20
=20
Short answer for the past 100 years: none of 'em. They're all essenti=
al. Which is why the standard list of topics is so fossilized, with t=
he possible exception of Charbay & Sherwood. I haven't used it yet, =
but I've heard it's interesting.
=20
Vickie=20

=46rom: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of Anthony Lapinski