[Phys-L] Re: The bulb-with-one-wire task: too tricky?

Nicely done. You might get them to build a circuit that has one contact
on the outside of the bulb and another on the inside, since it is
available on the broken bulb. That might reinforce their understanding
of the path into and out of the bulb.

cheers,

joe

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I do this activity each year, as a introduction to electric current. It's
a discovery lab and ungraded. Once they see all four configurations, I ask
them what's on the inside of a bulb and a battery. Students have little
idea of the inner workings of everyday items. I pass around broken bulbs
and show that the electrical contacts on a bulb are separated by an
insulator. Batteries are more difficult to show, but you can show a lemon
battery (with a penny and nickel), etc. Students begin to appreciate and
understand these things. Unfortunately, few textbooks explain how things
are made or how they work.

--
Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
574-284-4662, 4968