[Phys-L] Web-based Student Response Systems - any out there?

I would like to try out the student response systems, it seems that it would
fit well into my teaching style. However, I too have been concerned about
the longevity and effectiveness of this technique. I can't justify spending
the $$$ (either the department's or the student's) to bring a system to
campus that I'm not convinced about.

Then I got to thinking... we have a wireless campus, students all have
notebooks (and most take notes - or play games and pretend to take notes -
on them already). I would like to try out a web-based SRS that would
utilize the existing infrastructure, rather than spending the $$$ for
something that I may not actually like.

Has anyone written something like this? If not, I'll try to find time over
the summer, but I have no interest in reinventing the wheel if it is already
available.

Gary Turner