[Phys-L] Re: Calculators a Distraction?

My main concern would be, do students UNDERSTAND what the division process
is really all about. Do they see it as the inverse of multiplication and
intrinsically involving subtraction. CAN they do word problems that
require that they choose to do division. Does learning long division help
this process? In some sense I think it does--at least the roots of the
function understandings. Is it necessary to meet my main criteria--I don't
know.

The analogy which I'm sure many of us encounter is with our physics
students who can DO calculus, can do integrals, but don't have a clue WHEN
to use calculus or how to setup an integral. Being able to punch in a
division on the calculator or look up an integral (or I guess get your
calculator to do it) is meaningless unless you know WHEN to divide and how
to write down an appropriate integral that solves a given problem.

Rick

John Denker wrote:
I've been racking my brain, trying to think of a real-world
scenario where somebody would need to do division, without
having easy access to a calculator. I haven't come up with
any. The only times I've done long division recently is
when I was teaching the subject!

I'm starting to wonder if Latin might deserve *more* emphasis
than long division, on the grounds that my knowledge of Latin
roots of English words comes in handy almost every day.

So I return the question to the group: Is there any counter
to Bob's argument?

If, after due deliberation, we accept the argument, the
consequences are profound. For one thing, we ought to pass
the word to the grade-school teachers, so they don't waste
time teaching long division. That will make a lot of teachers
and students happy.

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE: Windows and Mac Instructional Software