[Phys-L] Re: Color (was LED mini-flashlight price break)

I have taken JD up on his offer using a Flinn single beam *
spectrophotometer (lent by M. Rhodes, Chem. instructor at NS(alinas) HS.

The result w/ his much additional discussion is at:

http://www.av8n.com/imaging/dye-spectra.htm

One may there compare my rough estimate (w/ star below) and the somewhat
better Flinn.

* Don't burden you students w/ this. Spend an addnl. $1k for a double beam.

bc

John Denker wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I've checked two food color dyes w/ my star. The red has a very sharp
cut off at 600 so has a bit of orange and all the red to 700 where my
eye fades out. The blue is interesting; it's only ~ 50 nm wide ~
centered on ~ 460 + it passes > 670, so it looks a bit purplish. I
haven't bothered w/ the orange and yellow, yet.

Very cool. I would love to see spectra for the common
FD&C colorants. I tried googling for them with less than
satisfactory results.

If anybody can obtain the data, and send it to me, I'll
plot it and put it up on the web.