[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Concerned over costs (was Mac vs. PC )

So... what do we have? I believe I could install an easy to use and
perfectly adequate system (not as pretty, not as many bells and
whistles) for around $4000 to $5000. But the technology director wants
pizzazz, and so do the other administrators, and so do the admission
folks. They are not a whole lot different than politicians or sales
people. They are in the business of convincing people we are top notch
and we deserve your students and your gifts and your grants and your
respect. Demonstrating how well we manage on a small expenditure of
money does not figure into their equation, and they might be right.
Ethical? No. Right? Well, they're succeeding fairly well.

I recently heard about another version of this behavior. Another
institution was trying to raise money for a new library. It was proving
very difficult. A new person came in and redesigned the proposal putting
in EVERY bell and whistle including sitting areas with fireplaces (if I
remember correctly). Guess what? The money cam rolling in and they now
have this new showplace!

I am not immune to this. I drive a Honda Accord when I could drive a
Honda Civic, or less. But I am not driving a Rolls or a Bentley. Maybe
I would get more respect if I did. Hmmm... would that be worth it?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.

Having had several of each (Accord and Civics--not Rolls) I think I can say
that the Accords last longer, require less frequent maintenance (went
90,000 on the original front brakes), and of course are more comfortable.
Fuel efficiency goes to the Civics, but my '96 Accord has averaged 29 mpg
over its life. Economic efficiency is pretty much a tie. ;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College