[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Concerned over costs (was Mac vs. PC )

After you explained how nice the rooms are, the $24,000 doesn't quite
seem so outrageous. There is something to be said for making things
idiot-proof.

Of course, there is also something to be said for doing four rooms for
the price of one.

Your comment reminded of a line in that famous book "Mr. Roberts",

To paraphrase,

"Mr. Roberts, you have to understand that the military way is a system
designed by geniuses to run by idiots."

As to ethics, is it unethical to do your job in the manner that your
boss directs you to? It depends. IOW, if he says he wants expensive
rooms that look impressive than there is some onus on you to do your job
as directed; as long as it is within the bounds of the law; in some
sense that is what you are being paid to do. IMO, while I basically
agree with your sentiment, I'm not so sure the ethical issues are as
clear-cut as they are being made out to be.

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu
605-688-4293