[Phys-L] Re: earthquake

I had a little discussion with Richard Gross at JPL. He said:

I have modeled the coseismic effect on the Earth's rotation of the
December 26 earthquake in Indonesia by using the PREM model for the
elastic properties of the Earth and the Harvard centroid-moment
tensor solution for the source properties of the earthquake. The
result is:

change in length of day: -2.676 microseconds
polar motion excitation X : -0.670 milliarcseconds
polar motion excitation Y: 0.475 milliarcseconds

The source properties of earthquakes are computed by a number of groups.
For the Indonesian earthquake I used the solution of the Harvard group
which can be found at their web site:

http://www.seismology.harvard.edu/projects/CMT/

It is the global shift in mass that is important when computing the effect
on the Earth's rotation, and that is what my model computes. I actually
don't save the mass displacement field itself, but integrate the mass
displacements to get the change in the Earth's inertia tensor and hence
in the Earth's rotation.

Since the length of the day can be measured with an accuracy of about
20 microseconds, this model predicts that the change in the length-of-day
caused by the earthquake is much too small to be observed. And, since
the location of the earthquake was near the equator, this model predicts
that the change in polar motion excitation is also rather small, being
about 0.82 milliarcsecond in amplitude. Such a small change in polar
motion excitation will also be difficult to detect.

On the other hand ... the uncertainty in day-length is not cumulative, so
if we wait a few weeks the rate-change should become readily observable.