[Phys-L] Re: projectiles

Regarding Anthony's comments:

Neglecting air resistance, we all know that the maximum range for a
projectile occurs when the launch angle is 45° on level ground. But
what if the object is launched from a cliff of height H above the
ground? Here, the maximum range occurs at less than 45°. I've
searched most of the college texts I have, but I can't find a "range
formula" that has the height included. Is there such an equation
with an initial height (similar to R = v^2 sin2q/g on level ground)?

Rather than searching textbooks for the formula, why not just
calculate it yourself?

David Bowman