[Phys-L] Re: Spring question

The key here, I believe, is that the spring PE is defined in terms of a
displacement. In your first form, x and x0 are displacements relative to
what? To the unstretched length? That is NOT the center of the harmonic
motion, x0 is. So x0 really is your zero of PE. If taken as zero, then
both forms agree. If not, then only the second is applicable to the SHM
that will occur. I agree however, that the discerning student might get
confused here (mine rarely do). Once we hang enough weight to slightly
stretch the springs, it is emphasized that THIS is our ZERO point.
Displacements will be measured relative to that position.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Animations for PowerPoint
Newton's Maze lab simulation
Simplified Energy Management Simulator
Energy 2100--class project