[Phys-L] Re: Buoyancy question

I believe he is referring to the fact that a needle if gently placed on the
surface floats. This is a surface tension effect and not a buoyancy effect.
Of course if you add a drop of detergent it doesn't work.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Greetings everyone!

I have a question pertaining to buoyancy phenomenon:

What's the condition that a piece of iron released gently on the surface
of water sink? Ignore surface tension.

Thanks,

Hasan Fakhruddin
Instructor of Physics
The Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities
BSU
Muncie, IN 47306
E-mail: hfakhrud@bsu.edu