Re: latent heat of evaporation

"...*some*dependence of L on temperature and pressure. BC suggested it
would depend mightily, but I say it depends only slightily."

There must be a misunderstanding here as L [enthalpy of evaporation] is
~ 2257 kJ/kg at 101.33 kN/m^2 [100 deg C] and 1730 at 4000 kN/m^2 [250
deg. C.] (end of SI steam Saturation table)

using English table:

212 deg, F (14.696 Lb/Sq. in.) 970.3 BTU/Lb and

705.4 (3206.2 ) Zero

i.e. L goes from 970 to zero with a 73 % increase in temp. (absolute).

http://www.waudesign.com/steam_fundamentals.htm

bc

John Denker wrote:

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Are you saying, John, that to accept two different values of L (one for
evaporation without boiling and another with boiling) would
automatically lead to the violation of conservation of energy?

To zeroth order, yes.
To first order in small quantities, there is *some*
dependence of L on temperature and pressure. BC
suggested it would depend mightily, but I say it
depends only slightily. The molar entropy and molar
enthalpy of the vapor are nice smooth continuous
indeed differentiable functions in this regime.

cut