experimental latent heat of evaporation

Prompted by good comments I went to the school laboratory this
afternoon and attempted to measure L. Unfortunately, my results
fluctuated widely and I have no idea why. The average result from 8
attempts was 1344 J/gram (instead of 2260); the smallest value was 800
and the largest was 3030. The method I "invented" is straight forward;
it has probably been used by others. Expecting critical comments I will
post a short description of the method tomorrow. Perhaps those who are
familiar with thermal measurements will help me.
Ludwik Kowalski