Kids still have some ability and interest. Was: direct instruction, AP scores, etc., etc., etc.

We've discussed students' growing lack of interest in Physics,
especially extracurricular Physics. However, they are very adept with
modern consumer electronics.

note the cartoon below:

http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/

Warning: if the 16'th's cartoon has been posted, one may not obtain this
one (20040815), or one must wait 10 sec. before it appears.

I worked for a high-end AV company during HS and College (mid 50's). We
were advised when delivering TV's to instruct the children in its use
not the purchaser!

Another obvious factor is we have become a disposable society. e.g.
We (advanced lab.) had an old HP computer we used because our very
expensive FFT (also HP) for the Browninan motion experiment has only
GPIB output. When the display failed I thought to repair it, as I'd
memorized the start up and the sounds associated, which still occurred,
and the kinescope heater was still good, so I obtained the repair manual
and found a box for the deflection board not the parts, i.e. vertical
and horiz. oscillators, damper, fly back xformer, etc. So I ordered a
new deflection board ($150?) and my supposition was correct. When our
17 inch TV fails, we'll land fill * it and purchase another at Costco.

* actually it'll probably go to Africa or China to contaminate them.

bc

p.s. I had, inter alia, the job of recording the local Music Academy's
concerts for the boss's disc cutter. One Fri. I asked why he didn't
have variable grove. The next Mon. he proudly showed me the out board
playback head from which came the signal to control the oscillator that
drove the lead screw. He also had to change the interface of the VFO.
The new technologies prevent such modifications.