Re: impulse/momentum

I can confirm that.

Typically turbine blading are either reaction or impulse.
High pressure steam on the inlet, vacuum on the exhaust.
Pressure drops across each set of blades or stage and steam volume expands.
Ideal turbine steam dynamics approximated by vertical drop on Molliere h-s
diagram.
Need exit steam property such as quality or moisture content to compute
efficiency.
work = efficiency x (delta h)

Charles Bell
Operations Instructor
Grand Gulf Nuclear Station

At 09:13 AM 12/15/2003, you wrote:

>In a turbine it is silly to propose that the blade doesn't rotate and
>confuse the physics to the cartoon level.
>
>Jim Green

As I recall, most real turbines have rows of blades fixed to the
frame, between rows of rotating blades.
--

Clarence Bennett
Oakland University Physics