Derive energy from angular KE of earth?

A gyroscope wheel is mounted in a gimbal so that the spin axis of the
wheel maintains a direction that is constant in space and so that this axis
is perpendicular to the spin axis of the earth.
The axis of the gyroscope wheel will appear to rotate once in 24 hours
because of the earth's rotation.
The gimbal can be mounted in such a way that the spin axis of the
gyroscope wheel can move in one plane only, a plane perpendicular to the
spin axis of the earth (the gimbal's axis is pointed at the north star and
the bearings that support it are mounted within posts driven deep into the
earth).
If one applies enough torque to the gimbal, its rotation relative to the
earth can be stopped completely. If that torque is diminished a bit, there
will be a torque acting through a distance, which does work. Thus, work
derived from the rotational KE of the earth. This may not be a clear
explanation of what I have in mind, so I built a model and took pictures
that will make my idea more understandable. I will emial the 2 pictures to
anyone who is interested.
It is obvious to me that this system will produce work as a result of
the relative motion between the earth and the gimbal, but it appears to
violate some basic laws-conservation of angular momentum of the earth. Would
someone give me some ideas on why this will or will not work?

Fred Bucheit retired Physics teacher.

Enjoy the holiday season with great tips from MSN.