Re: Discovery Learning

Hello all,

I teach adults at a nuclear power plant and follow this list as a fellow
physicist interested in other instructors experiences.
Its refreshing to hear the discussions. I have experienced many, many waves
of the new ideas in teaching methods over the years.

Novelty is what I would answer to this question. The discovery learning is
a novelty for a while (year or two). Then its not so novel any more and
people (that's us instructors) drift right back to the traditional lecture.

The students I teach are no different than the students in colleges and
high schools. I taught a few years of night classes at the local junior
college to get some "fulfillment" and new experiences.

Something different is what people want. That different always has to
change. Variety is what is required.
That takes time to develop the repertoire.

I could list dozens of new things done over the years and how they came and
went all about the same way.

I thought a few years ago that dynamic Power Point presentations with a
video projector was the way to go. Everyone gets excited about it at first
and all will claim it to improve learning. Because it was different it
worked. After a few dozen power point presentations you will find that the
observers tend to tune out because its not interesting anymore. Dimming the
lights to see the presentation encourages nodding off.

I've used "Advanced Learning" techniques and found that they also work for
a while. In fact the establishment will revolt about it after a while.
I've had mobiles hanging off the ceiling, pretty color pictures on the
walls, colored highlighters, scented highighters, virtual photo tours,
pleasant background "learning" music, throw toys, nerfballs, drinking
birds. mind maps, board games..............

They all worked.

FOR AWHILE.

The smart ones will learn without you doing anything.

At 07:53 AM 12/12/2003, you wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:24:11 -0800 MICHAEL HORTON
<<mailto:scitch@verizon.net>scitch@verizon.net> writes:
> If all you want them to do is remember the concept for
> a day or two then lecture is fine. If you want to remember it longer then
> there must be some connection in their mind between that concept and
something
> memorable. That memorable thing could be a mnemonic, a lab, an
> activity, a video, prior knowledge, whatever. The point of my project
is to see > if things that are learned via discovery last longer than things
> learned traditionally.

Throughout our lives, we have been lectured that that lectures
do not enhance learning. If this is true, then
why are lectures still used as the primary teaching tool
in almost all high schools, colleges, and universities
throughout the entire world?

Why do so many educators abandon "discovery learning" within a year or
two after it has been introduced?