Re: Blackboard

Our school uses Blackboard 6. The standard deviation reported by Blackboard
is not correct. I checked one of my exams. Blackboard reports a standard
deviation of around 2. My statistics calculator computes a value near 13.
The mean reported by Blackboard is correct. n=24 for my class.

I use the gradebook feature so students can check their current grade. I
post points earned for the exam, homework and lab for each exam. I give 5
exams per semester so I will eventually have 15 columns. The point values
for homework and lab reports are typically different for each unit. In my
grading scheme a test point, lab point and homework point all make the same
contribution towards the final course grade. I use the "Weight by Item"
option and Blackboard computes the correct % score ( "Weighted Total" in
Blackboard's terminology ) for each student.

Blackboard does not calculate the correct % score for my classes when
"Weight by Category" is selected. Blackboard expects all of the items in a
certain category (e.g. homework) to have the same point value. This is
documented in the Blackboard user guide. I am not complaining about the
operation of "Weight by Category" but I felt users on this list should be
alerted to, or reminded of, the operation of the "Weight by Category"
calculation.

I would welcome feedback from other Blackboard users on the operation of the
Gradebook. At midterm and the end of the semester I always export the
Blackboard gradebook to Excel and check the course grade ( % of points
available) that Blackboard calculates.

Greg Clements
Midland Lutheran College
Fremont, NE