From: "Larry Cartwright" <exit60@CABLESPEED.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 2:24 AM
Subject: Re: The Electron
. . .

essay by Steven Weinberg, whose Nobel prize is one testimony to his
grasp of the topic:
"The Standard Model is a field theory, which means that it takes the
basic constituents of nature to be fields - conditions of space,
considered apart from any matter that may be in it, like the magnetic
field that pulls bits of iron toward the poles of a bar magnet . . .
Larry