Re: A mixture of time dilations and constrictions

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, pvalev wrote:

What is wrong with discussing this stuff?

There is absolutely nothing wrong, per se, with discussion of
these matters. In fact, personally, I take great pleasure in
discussions about Einstein, technical relativity and the history
thereof, with experts and novices alike. I have spent countless
hours explaining aspects of relativity to non-technical people,
so ignorance of the subject is certainly not a criterion for
ending discussion. However, there is such a thing as self-imposed
ignorance, where the issue is not simply the struggle for
knowledge, but rather the refusal to allow knowledge to take its
rightful place in pushing ignorance aside.

Should such problems be discussed on this list?

Absolutely. But note that there is a fundamental difference
between one who says I am ignorant of relativity and want to
learn, and one who, in all ignorance, claims relativity is wrong.

--
Stephen
speicher@caltech.edu

Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge.

Printed using 100% recycled electrons.