Re: Spelling and Grammar in our e-mails

Whose "old-fashioned spelling and grammar?" A quick check on the
Merriam Webster online (<http://www.m-w.com/home.htm>) says "chiefly
British past and past participle of LEARN"

The last paragraph in the article, "The Unloved American", in the current New
Yorker includes a quote by Mrs. Trollope (Anthony's mother): "If the
citizens of the United States .... are the first and best of the human race,
that nothing is to be learnt, but what they are able to teach, and that
nothing is worth having, which they do not possess."

bc

Mark Sylvester wrote:

Indeed, many verbs used to form the past tense with 't', even if only a few
retain it as an option... spoilt, burnt, leant, knelt... Open Shakespeare
almost anywhere and you'll find some of these. Romeo to Mercutio: "I dreamt
a dream tonight..." Herb, you can blame your English teachers for
inculcating a misconception!

Mark