Re: a link to some interesting illusions

The 590 nm yellow sodium line is a pure color, a single frequency (ok,
it's a doublet). Your eyes clearly see this, right? It's just yellow
light. You could also stimulate your eyes by mixing the right combination
of red and green light and see the exact same color. Your eyes cannot
tell the difference.

Sam

Robert Cohen wrote:

Thank you for the responses. I did indeed get confused by
the statement "blue, cyan, green, yellow and magenta are
NOT seen in the rainbow" because, for some reason, I only
saw the answer, not the question.

I still have a question about "yellow is a mixture of
green and red light". I agree that the perception
of yellow CAN BE a mixture of green and red light but
couldn't yellow also be "just yellow" (i.e., a single
frequency that excites the red/green cones in just
the right way for us to perceive yellow)?

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; 570-422-3428; http://www.esu.edu=
/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301--

Sam Sampere
Syracuse University
Department of Physics
Syracuse, NY 13244