Re: Electric Field Mapping

Vickie Frohne wrote:

This may or may not be your problem: Are you using electrically conducting
silver ink? Craft stores sell "silver" paint & pens, but these use
non-conducting mica flakes to get the metallic effect. The metallic aluminum
paint sold in automotive stores isn't conductive, either. You need an ink
made of genuine powdered silver Ag metal, such as that used in Pasco's
special pens. Larger electronics supply places (but not Radio Shack)also
carry conductive paints.

A possible alternative (which I haven't tried) might be to use copper tape.
This is made for use in electronics, and it consists of thin copper foil
with a special conductive adhesive. The aluminum muffler repair tape
(similar in concept to copper tape)definitely won't work, because of the
non-conductive adhesive and the oxide coating on the tape.

Vickie Frohne
Benedictine University

It is prohibited for anyone to disclose, copy, distribute the contents of
this message. Benedictine University does not review, edit or censor
E-Mail communications sent out through their System. The University
maintains and enforces policies regarding the acceptable use of its
technology resources. All messages express views solely of the sender,
which are not to be attributed to Benedictine University, and may not be
copied or distributed without this disclaimer.

I have tried several types of metallic tape on the Pasco plotting paper,
but have never had any success. Apparently the bond to the paper is not
good enough - i.e. has too high a resistance. I have used it by running
a bead of silver paint along the edge which improves things somewhat,
but still not as good as a good heavy silver line.
James Mackey