Re: There's work, and then there's work

"Suppose we have a C = 1000 microF cap initially charged to Vo = 10 V
that is discharging through a small R = 10 ohm resistor and L = 20 cm
of copper wire with a diameter of d = 1.00 mm.

Using the density of copper (rho = 8.9 g/cm^3), the atomic mass of
copper (M = 64 g/mole), and the assumption of one conduction
electron per copper atom, we find a conduction electron number
density of n = (rho/M)*N_avog = 8.5 x 10^22 electrons/cm^3 and a
total of N = n(pi*d^2*L/4) = 1.3 x 10^16 conduction electrons."

Just a nit: I think the N is closer to 10^21 electrons in the wire.
Otherwise I very much appreciate the post.

bc who may be missing something, but the 16 vs. 22 did "stick out".

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Robert Cohen wrote:

I would like to respond to David Rutherford's argument that energy
is associated with both the heat gained by the surroundings (via
what he calls the transverse component velocity) and the kinetic
energy associated with the current (which he relates to the
longitudinal component velocity).

This is actually a common source of confusion for my students and so
I would like to see it better addressed than it has. DR is right
that, at any given time, only part of the energy (associated with
the kinetic energy of the electrons) will be converted to heat as
measured by the calorimeter experiment. However, the key point that

cut