Re: There's work, and then there's work

Title: Re: There's work, and then there's work
Eric Lane wrote

Where can we find definitions of

0) the microscopic mechanical work
1) the mechanical pseudowork, which at least
   one person calls work, as I discovered
   yesterday.
2) the thermodynamic "W" work.

Joel has provided a reference to my paper with Harvey Leff.  I would add that

1   an "executive summary" of the results of that paper is
    available at

      http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm/special/aaw_excerpts.pdf

2   in that summary, I would identify

    a) "microscopic mechanical work" with what we called
       "frame-specific total work" -- W_tot

    b) "mechanical pseudowork" with what we simply called
       "pseudowork" -- W_ps

    c) "thermodynamic work" with what we called
       "system-specific external work" -- w_ext

The last identification is the slipperiest because thermodynamic work itself is a somewhat poorly defined quantity.  This, in turn, is because "internal energy" is a somewhat poorly defined quantity.  In thermodynamics applications the "internal energy" of a system consists of those parts of its energy that we care to concern ourselves with.  Just for instance, sometimes we care about the "bulk translational KE" ( = "center of mass KE" = "pseudoKE") and sometimes we don't.  (I'd say *usually* we don't, but not without fear of being challenged.)

Finally, I won't try to defend our often ponderous names for the seven different worklike quantities that we discuss in this paper except to reemphasize how critically important it is to distinguish very carefully between them.  As John Denker wrote:

  "With such messed-up terminology, it's a wonder that
   anyone is ever able to communicate with anybody."

I couldn't agree more and the astonishingly tortured history of the Work/Energy threads on phys-l serves as powerful testimony to this fact.

--
   A. John Mallinckrodt        http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
   Professor of Physics      mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu