Re: There's work, and then there's work

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

As a spin-off from another thread, let me explain my appreciation of the
differences in the use of the term "work" between

(1)the CM Work/KE theorem of mechanics, and
(2)the First Law of Thermodynamics.

(snip)

Much confusion has resulted from using the word "work" to describe both Fdx
of (1) and Ydz of (2)
Some have even written that the CM Work/KE theorem of (1) is invalid and
should not be used because its Fdx work does not always describe an energy
transfer, as Ydz in (2) necessarily does by design. The CM Work/KE theorem
is a very useful calculational tool of Mechanics - it should not be asked to
do what it knows nothing of. Its work, Fdx, may in fact be useful in the
First Law of thermodynamics as a Ydz, evaluating an energy transfer; but
this is a separate question and must be answered by an ad hoc energy
transfer model of the phenomenon at hand.

Your comments are very helpful - I have a class on this same topic later today.

In terms of Ydz, the electrical contribution to the "work" term of (2) is a good
example. Here Ydz is Vdq. There certainly is no analogy here to CM work/KE for
the case of a constant current - yet energy changes occur.

Bob at PC