Re: A Geometrical Proof of the Non-invariance of the Spacetime Interval

At 19:24 -0500 1/21/03, Robert Cohen wrote:

So regardless of v, x1 and x2 are not even close to being the same?

Am I supposed to be less confused now?

How did I get in the middle of this? You guys are supposed to be the
relativists.

What are x1 and x2? are they the location of LA and San Diego in the
San Andreas frame (or whatever the plate that holds the two cities is
called)? Or are they the positions of LA and San Diego as I see them
from my train window? If the former, then no X1 and X2 will only
become the same when LA has expanded down the coast and eventually
annexes San Diego. If the latter, then then can come arbitrarily
close, depending on how fast I am going.

At this point, I am getting continually more confused.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams