Re: A Geometrical Proof of the Non-invariance of the Spacetime Interval

Oops. I was not quite clear. Here is a better message.

I asked:

Are x1 and x2 measured differently by each observer, assuming v<<c?

to which Hugh Haskell wrote:

"Since the scale factor gamma is only =3D 1 when v =3D 0 is the rel.
vel. between the two frames, I assert that My statement is always
correct, but since when v << c, gamma become indistinguishable from
1 to many decimal places, the differences between my measurements and
your measurements will be essentially nil, so, to the precision you
desire, you are also correct. But you get less correct as v
increases, while I am correct at all velocities."

OK - I'll agree with that. So, at v<<c, each observer agrees
on the values of x1 and x2?

but...then RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

"I think DH is bothered by the fact that F' says |x2'-x1'| = 0
while F says |x2-x1| =3D LA--->San Diego distance."

So regardless of v, x2' does not equal x2 and so |x2'-x1'| does
not equal |x2-x1|?

Am I supposed to be less confused now?

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; 570-422-3428; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301