More thoughts on Lazy

Okay
Some have suggested that it is good for students to use the web and that homework is not for work sake.

This assignment was geared towards
a) getting a feel for what real astronomer does when going on an observing run
b) see what I go through to get an observing night together for them
c) helping them learn more about the night sky.

Now I can use a star chart on the web to look stuff up. That's fine if everything goes as planned. What happens if the objects I picked out to look at are blocked by buildings and trees? What am I going to do instead? I can't search the web in the field (we don't have wireless here in the boonies) They need to know how to open up a star atlas and use it.

Also I happen to have a copy of Star Atlas 2000. It is huge, 14" by 18". I remember when I first got it. I had used the Palomar sky survey (not digitized) as an undergrad but I was simply astonished when I opened this atlas.

There were so many stars and objects, it was amazing. I was awed.
I remember reading an article about some nebula and was like wonder if I can see it here and where it was exactly. ( I had RA and Dec but that really didn't help.) Opened up my atlas to that page and found it. Awesome.

I don't know. For this assignment students do not need to go to the shelves. All the star books the library has are on reserve for the class. I also listed all the books for them.

As for working jobs and things, that excuse works for older students. I have students who are 18-19 that have no family of their own and can't seem to find the time to do their homework.

I am perfectly happy if students came to me and told me what's up and I would do what I could to help. Most don't come.

Because astronomy is a field that has new and exciting discoveries frequently, I thought (wrongly it turns out) that students would be excited to learn about the latest and greatest in the area we are studying class. So I found all these articles (~1 page), copied them and passed them out. The students were mad at me for giving them these articles. Then they asked me if they had to actually read the articles. I responded "Now you do and it will be on the test."

Here, my best students tend to be the ones with full time jobs and families to care for. They are dedicated and rarely miss class. If they miss, they come to my office as soon as they can and apologize and ask if I could help them with what they miss. These students tend to have their priorities in order or have time management skills. I can't go to the doctor whenever I want, I have to make sure that it doesn't interfere with my class schedule.

This is a transfer class to a 4 year. So I don't have students that are in the technical fields or the trades.

Most of the students here feel if they come to class, that should be enough to pass them. Heaven forbid they do any work

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429