Re: Lazy?

found unsent:

"... I wonder if they will get the full benefit of life once they start a 40-hour job (or more likely, with a college education, a
salaried job that requires more than 40 hours per week)."

That's it! A full time FLSA job is 40h / wk, Therefore, to do a C job (if that's the average) at either is 40 h. To do better, for
the typical student, expect to do more. If 15 units (h.) is a full load then ~ two h / unit is minimum, and about max. for a C. I
think three is too much unless the student is weak or wants a higher grade. Therefore, the home work should take ~ two h / unit. If
the instructor expects more, I disagree. If the student works, he should either use candles or take a lighter load.

bc who, when teaching in the 60's and 70's (and a little in the 80's), demanded this much and never heard a complaint.

p.s. The

Michael Edmiston wrote:

Joel and Rick have answered my message the way I answer it myself.

(1) It is a student's responsibility to do assignments whether she thinks the assignment is worthwhile or not. If the student does
not do the assignment, he faces the consequences, and we teachers need to make sure the consequences are severe

cut