Re: Lazy?

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:26:27 -0500 Tina Fanetti <FanettT@WITCC.COM>
writes:
Hi all
I assigned my students in my astronomy class an observing project.
Basically all they have to do is plan a night of observing for the
date they are assigned.

I have told them that I have put all sorts of wonderful resources on
reserve for them in the library, like star charts etc.
They look at me like I am crazy and then ask me if it is on the web.

*** Thirty years ago the college libraries, public libraries, and the
school libraries were the first places to consult for such an assignment.
Today, however, most of the library research can be done at home
or in the college dorms using a computer web search.

Using the www.google.com search engine, I just typed in two words,
"start charts". In a few seconds many star chart resources were listed
on my computer screen. One of these provided free star charts for
the current night . Perhaps the strudents were correct and should be
complimented for their insight.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
("Where a great deal of library research can be done with the aid
of our home computers)