Re: the Zapno (tm) anti-static device and dishonesty

Hugh Haskell wrote:

> The problem with all of these techniques are that they have had minimal
> scientific studies done of their efficacy. I don't know how one
> would do a double-blind study of arthroscopic surgery, (snip...)

I think the reference was to an article in Time or Newsweek or some
such. As I understood it (told to me by someone who read the article)
some volunteers were given "placebo surgery" (no actual changes were
made on the knee, but maybe the skin was cut to have the same scars,
etc.). The conclusion (of the study, not necessarily of all experts)
was that the same improvements could be obtained by going through only
the post-operative physical therapy.

Perhaps someone who has more direct contact with the facts can flesh
this out.

--
Dr. James McLean phone: (585) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (585) 245-5288