Re: mass versus weight

Tina wrote:
the math book uses weight and mass nearly interchangeably.

Then Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:
*** At the level of most students in your class, I would go along with
the textbook.

I need more context. Is this a math class or a physics class?

Assuming ordinary unaccelerated terrestrial situations:
-- There is a pretty close correspondence between weight
and mass.
-- For almost every math problem involving mass there is
a corresponding math problem involving weight (or |weight|).
-- So I don't see why the question of mass versus weight
needs to come up.

OTOH in a physics class, or if the math book starts throwing
around physics equations (e.g. F=ma) or starts asking about
weightless astronauts, that's a horse of a different color.