Re: Units and Conversions

On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 07:26:38 -0500 Tina Fanetti
<FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US> writes:
Okay this is slightly off topic but not much.

In my applied math class we are working on different units and unit
conversions. I will start the metric system in a couple days. Would
it be worth it to the students to bring in a meter, a kilogram, and
a liter?

*** YES! Visual aids are useful when introducing new topics.

Also, the math book uses weight and mass nearly interchangeably.
Should I just go along or teach them properly? My inclining as a
physicist is to teach them correctly but realistically I don't think
they
are going to get it.

*** At the level of most students in your class, I would go along with
the textbook.
However, this would be a good opportunity to have one, or more, of your
better students
research and report on the differences between the terms "mass" and
"weight"
as used by scientists.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where late blooming students often appear in the first year of our
community colleges)

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429