Re: Less is less

John Clement Wrote:

When I was at Rensselaer in the 60s they taught undergrad physics as a 4
semester sequence with different topics each semester. This was actually
good idea in light of current studies about learning, but it was doubtful
that they actually achieved the desired goal of improving depth of
coverage.

Hi:

John's letter caught my eye because I also graduated RPI in the 1960's
(not the usual route into high school teaching) , although I do not recall
knowing John.

While I have adopted the "fewer topics in greater depth" for my own high
school students, physics majors must at some point learn a wide range of
topics. Perhaps high school physics classes should not just be pint-sized
college physics classes. There are different goals at different levels.

I came across an RPI catalog two years ago and was strucy by how many
fewer physics classes their current physics majors had to take than we did.

I raised this issue at the Guelph AAPT meeting with Karen Cutler (?) who
was describing an innovative approach to physics at RPI. Was there a
connection between that approach and the decreased breadth? My question did
not seem to be welcomed.

Another member in the audience leaned over and said that all physics
departments had to reduce the requirements for majors or risk loosing too
many students. That, of course, is a problem in itself.

Ed Schweber
Physics Teacher
Solomon Schechter Day School
West Orange, NJ