From: Robert W. Arts [mailto:rarts@PC.EDU]
Sent: Sat 6/29/2002 8:26 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Astronomy activity help

Greetings All,

I hope the summer is finding you all well.

The reason for this note is our upcoming summer science and math day
camp. Each year we host two hundred middle school students (grades 5
- 8) for two consecutive weeks (5 & 6 one week and 7 & 8 the other) of
day camp. Any way, I'm looking for an astronomy activity that these
campers can work on. Generally we have one hour blocks of time each
day for three days for such an activity. I have a day or so already
planned but am interested in ideas for an additional hour or two's
project. I like the level of the activity to be something
challenging, interesting as well as hands-on. I've started to run out
of really good ideas as we try to rotate on a four-year cycle so
repeat campers will not see the same activity if they return for four
straight years. Thus, things like spectroscopes, celestial spheres,
and rockets have already been through the loop.

Any suggestions? I'd appreciate what ever help that any one can give.
Thank you very much...advance.

Robert.

Robert W. Arts
Associate Professor of Physics